I’ve neglected my blog all month. I had planned on doing an informative post each week, but instead I spent that time either writing my novel, or procrastinating… probably the latter.
Anyway. After the first week, writing 10k on day one, and around 40k in total, I had made a decision from the quality of my writing. It was even more horrible than the usual. The Right Words had all decided to run away from me, it seemed. Hence, I started not caring about the quality of the writing, and just write, write, and you guessed it. Write. I managed to crack 5k all the days apart from three days- (with word counts of 10k, 4k, and 2k).
Week two didn’t go quite as smooth. I had quite a few days of not writing anything, and in the end, I didn’t even manage half the amount of what I wrote in week one. Call it Week Two Slumps, call it whatever; I think the main reason was because by then, with 50k already under my belt, I knew I could reach my goal and I didn’t feel the challenge or pressure of not reaching it.
Even though right from the beginning my goal had secretly been 100,000. I reached 60k at the end of the week.
Week three was similar to week two, but at least near the end of the week I wrote more, feeling a slight amount of pressure from wanting to reach 100k. And so I managed to reach 80k by Sunday.
And then this week! I wrote 10k from Monday-Friday. (Which means a couple of days of writing, the rest of nothing.) Then yesterday, Saturday, I managed another 10k day.
So that’s three 10k days this month.
However, yes, I did write 100k, but to be honest, pretty much everything needs to be rewritten. At 100k, my novel isn’t finished- and it isn’t meant to be something as long as Way of Kings. (Come to think of it, it’s only something like one quarter of it!) The reason is that before I was worried my story wouldn’t be able to be stretched out as long, and action only starts at around 30k. Heh, I’ve learnt that I really shouldn’t drag things out on purpose. Another reason is that along the way, I added more plot twists that influenced the story greatly, in story and in length.
Which means I need to rewrite pretty much everything, and finish the story.
Surprisingly though, I don’t feel burnt out, and I actually can’t wait to edit it. Perhaps it’s so bad that I ever so desperately need to change it. Yes, I believe that that must be the sad case.
Another thing, my writing speed improved greatly.
Before, I can write about 1000 words in half an hour. Now I can write it in twenty minutes. I think the reason is mainly due to me repeating myself and completely letting the plot run loose, but also because of the amount of Wars I’ve done. Let me tell you one thing: Word Warring helps you type a lot faster, especially if you’re competitive like me.
Although I’ll admit Shim and I had some Wars to see who could write less. It may not have been intentional, though…
In December and January, I’ll be rewriting, and I might post some excerpts if my self-esteem co-operates.
Despite my writing being at an all time low quality this month, I’ve learnt a lot as an author, and I’ll be posting about some of those things soon. And also, despite everything, I still hit 100k! I only validated yesterday, instead of when I hit my goal of 80k, as I wouldn’t feel like a winner if I had. It felt quite satisfying.
It still wasn’t as satisfying as I thought it could have been, though. 😛